Design senza titolo

Admission - Student Visa

What is a Visa?

A visa is an authorisation in the form of a sticker affixed to a passport which authorizes the bearer to stay in or travel through Malta during a limited, specified, period. Students that are part of the Schengen Agreement do not need a Visa in order to travel to Malta.

Schengen countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.


EU Nationals

Every EU citizen is entitled to travel freely within EU member states including Malta. No special formalities are required by EU citizens to enter Malta regardless of the reason for travel


Member States of the EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.


Who needs a VISA to enter Malta?

Students who are not under the Visa waiver program to visit Malta will need to apply for a Visa to enter Malta. Applicants may apply for entry visas to Malta from the Maltese, Austrian, Italian or Spanish representation in their country.


Click here ( for a complete list of countries whose citizens would require a VISA to enter Malta.


VISA Requirements

The Visa Application Form must be legibly completed, and signed by the applicant, and accompanied by:

  • Passport validity of which must not be less than three (3) months.
  • Two (2) passport-size photos, in colour and taken against a white background, with face clearly visible
  • The visa fee
  • Acceptance Letter from GY Academy HEI for the course applied for
  • Valid return ticket
  • Proof of means of subsistence –
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Medical insurance cover. The insurance must be valid throughout the Schengen Member States and cover the entire period of the person’s stay. The minimum coverage is of € 30,000.


Any other documents which the relevant Maltese authorities may ask for

Temporary Residence Card (TRC)

Once you have arrived to Malta, all international students are required to apply for an Temporary Residence Card (TRC). GY Academy staff will explain to you the process of applying for TRC. The TRC allows students to work up to 20 hours per week. 

Please note: You may not work until you have received your TRC.  

For more details on how to apply for your TRC see the following link